Turn Wi-Fi Assist On or Off
iOS Version 9 and later
NOTE: Wi-Fi Assisst is on by Default
How to turn Wi-Fi Assist off
If you don’t want your iOS device to stay connected to the Internet when you have a poor Wi-Fi connection, you can disable Wi-Fi Assist.
With iOS 9 and above, by default Wi-Fi Assist will automatically switch to cellular data while you have a poor Wi-Fi connection.
- Go to the Settings app
- Select “Cellular“, “Settings” or “Mobile“
- Then scroll down to the bottom and tap the slider for Wi-Fi Assist; On\Off.
- Wi-Fi Assist will not automatically switch to cellular data if you’re on data roaming.
- Wi-Fi Assist only works on foreground running apps and does not activate with background downloading of content.
- For some third-party apps Wi-Fi Assist will not activate that stream audio or video, or download attachments, for example an email app, as these types of apps may use large amounts of data.