Office 365 Two factor Authentication (2FA)
Two factor authentication (2FA) sometimes referred as Multi-Factor Authentication (MFA) is setting an extra layer of security to your account beyond just a username and password. It’s a two-step verification process in which users provide two different authentication factors to verify themselves.
How to configure 2 factor authentication on your office365 account
Downloading Microsoft Authenticator app to your mobile device
- Open your phone app store and search for “Microsoft Authenticator”
- Download the app to your phone
Activating the office 365 user account with 2FA
- Open your preferred browser and navigate to https://login.microsoftonline.com.
- Login using office 365 username and password
- Your IT Administrator must have enabled 2FA on your company, so you should receive the below prompt.
- Click Next
- On the Additional security verification page that pops up, choose “Mobile app” from drop down list and the choose option “Use verification code” and click Setup
- You will receive the below page with a QR Code.
Configuring the Microsoft Authenticator app
- Open the Microsoft Authenticator app in your phone
- Select Add account from the screen or “+” icon in the top right corner of the app screen
- Select work or school account in the next screen
- Allow the app to use your phones Camera
- You will be getting a screen called Scan QR code with a square camera box.
- Scan the QR code shown in your computer screen using this square box
- Once the QR code is scanned, you will receive the below screen on your computer screen with the setup button greyed out. Click Next
- You will now receive a prompt to enter the six-digit code from your Authenticator app, enter code and click Verify
- Select the country from drop down and enter your mobile number. Click Next
You have now added 2 Factor Authentication to your office 365 account. Next time when you login to your office 365 account/outlook, it will ask for the 6-digit code from your authenticator app after the username and password.